Monika Patel, M.D., is fellowship-trained in pain medicine from the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, specializing in interventional pain management. While interested in all aspects of pain medicine, her training has also included emphasis in treating spinal and cancer-related pain. Read More
Dr. Patel earned her medical degree at the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles. She completed her transitional year training at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. She then relocated to Houston, Texas, to complete her residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Texas and Baylor College of Medicine PM&R Alliance. Due to her passion to help patients with pain, Patel then completed a fellowship in pain medicine at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Patel’s commitment to the field of pain medicine has been noted through her publications, including the Spine Journal, Pain Medicine News, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Knowledge Now. She has also received case study awards and published posters at national pain conferences such as the American Academy of Pain Medicine, American Pain Society and North American Neuromodulation Society.
Dr. Patel is committed to providing compassionate patient care, high quality outcomes and exceptional experiences for those who suffer from painful spine and musculoskeletal conditions. She is well trained in all aspects of interventional pain management, including expertise in:
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fractures
- Stellate, celiac plexus, lumbar sympathetic, superior hypogastric and ganglion impar blocks and neurolysis
- Facet joint injections, medial branch nerve blocks and radiofrequency ablation
- Sacroiliac joint blocks and radiofrequency ablation
- Transforaminal, interlaminar and caudal epidural steroid injections
- Greater and lesser occipital, supraorbital and suprascapular nerve blocks
- Joint and muscle injections
- Spinal cord stimulator trials and implants