UF Health Integrative Palliative Care – Jacksonville is an
inpatient consultative service that provides an integrated multidisciplinary team,
including representatives of the professions of medicine, nursing, social work and
chaplaincy. The Palliative Care Team addresses the physical, emotional, spiritual
and existential needs of any patient with severe or life-limiting illness, from
the point of diagnosis to the end of life helps patients of any age find relief
from the physical pain, symptoms and stress of any serious illness.
The Palliative Care Team’s goal is to improve the quality of life for both the patient
and the family. This team works alongside the patients’ primary medical care team
as well as specialists to provide additional support, customize care to meet specific
needs and define care goals.
Palliative care is most effective with engaged early in the diagnosis of serious,
chronic, and/or life-limiting illness. Patients who also have multiple comorbidities
benefit from early engagement. The Palliative Care team can help patients at any
stage of an illness, as well as those seeking curative treatment.
Care team members:
- Address physical symptoms such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Provide symptom management recommendations and collaboration with medical teams to ensure optimal patient care outcomes.
- Help patients and their loved ones understand the illness they're facing and their
- Provide the tools, education and coordination of services that help patients carry
on with daily life.
- Provide spiritual guidance and arrange for counseling and support to help patients
and loved ones cope with the illness.
- Assist patients and loved ones with making important choices, such as advance directives
to respect their goals and values.
- Protecting the patient’s Autonomy (respecting the decisions made by the patient) to allow them to maintain control of their medical care.
Your physician can request a consultation for palliative care. Ask your doctor if
palliative care is right for you or call 904-407-7700.