Our specialized physical and occupational therapists have extensive training in oncology rehabilitation. They understand the challenges you face as you undergo cancer treatment and the importance of helping you maintain your strength and endurance. In collaboration with your oncology physicians, our therapists will address your individual needs and focus on getting you back to the things you care about most.
Why begin oncology rehab before cancer treatment?
Before you begin your cancer treatment, our specialists at UF Health Rehabilitation are ready to help. From day one, they will become part of your care team and work to prevent or reduce the side effects from your treatment.
An essential first step is a thorough assessment. This will provide a complete picture of your normal functioning. If symptoms do appear during or after your treatment, your rehab specialist will be able to spot them quickly. In our experience, early intervention results in better outcomes.
Our specialists will evaluate a range of areas:
- Cardiovascular fitness (measured by sustained physical activity)
- Circumference measurements of limbs and areas of the body (to detect later swelling)
- Range of motion
Benefits of oncology rehabilitation
Cancer treatment is a necessary part of your journey back to health, yet it can cause unwanted side effects and physical problems. Our rehabilitation services are designed to help you cope with these cancer-related impairments.
Oncology rehab services help to:
- Decrease pain, fatigue and weakness
- Enhance balance and mobility
- Expand range of motion
- Improve arm movement restricted by axillary web syndrome (a side effect of lymph node surgery)
- Increase flexibility diminished by fibrosis and scarring (thickening of tissue during healing)
- Lessen joint stiffness
- Manage lymphedema (swelling from a buildup of lymph fluid)
- Reduce numbness and tingling (caused by chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy)
Our expertise in oncology rehabilitation
Many specialists, one goal
Your care team includes many specialists all working toward providing you with the best outcome from your cancer treatment. Our therapists have advanced training and certifications in oncology rehabilitation. In addition, they collaborate with your oncology physician to ensure that you receive the most effective personalized treatment.
We know you want to achieve optimum results from your rehabilitation services. We do too. That’s why we use evidence-based practices that focus on using techniques proven effective through research rather than personal preferences or anecdotal reports.