Molecular genetic pathologists are experts in the principles, theory and technologies of molecular biology and molecular genetics.
Our expertise plays an important role
At the molecular diagnostic facility at UF Health Jacksonville, the addition of molecular technologies to standard pathological methods results in a better understanding of disease diagnosis. Our pathology specialists also use molecular technologies to help establish disease severity, determine prognosis, monitor infections and cancer treatment, as well as assess risk for genetic disorders.
Molecular technologies have further evolved and now play important roles in drug development and drug prescribing. Molecular technology is the key to the expanding role of health care screening and detection in preventing disease.
Our facility is a center of excellence
Our molecular diagnostic facility is now expanding its testing capabilities. In addition to molecular diagnostic tests, faculty members perform research in the field of cancer biomarker studies. The molecular laboratory has been named a Roche Molecular Center of Excellence, the 25th center across the nation to become part of this prestigious network.
Laboratory services we provide
Prognostic testing of breast cancer
- Her2, Estrogen Receptor, Progesterone Receptor, Ki-67, P53
- Her2: Breast cancer (FISH)
- MSI: Colon and endometrial carcinoma
- KRAS: Colon and lung cancer
- BRAF: Colon cancer (MSI-H and advanced stage colon cancer); Papillary thyroid carcinoma; Melanoma
- EFGR: Non-small cell lung cancer
- JAK2: Chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm
- HFE: Hemochromatosis
- Factor II and V: Inherited genetic disorder for hypercoagulation
- HPV/pap test