The UF Health Skull Base Center provides state-of-the-art care
for the treatment of skull base and brain tumors and related conditions. Part of
the largest neurosurgery practice in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia, our
highly trained multidisciplinary team is led by UF Health neurosurgeon
Daryoush Tavanaiepour, MD, and co-directed by oral and maxillofacial surgeon
Rui Fernandes, MD, DMD.
Our goal is to improve every patient’s quality of life by providing the highest
quality treatment in a compassionate, caring environment. The Skull Base Center
medical team receives ongoing training in the latest techniques and works in a leading
edge regional medical center featuring the newest advancements in technology.
Why UF Health?
UF Health Jacksonville has the only Skull Base Center in Northeast Florida and
Southeast Georgia. As a teaching hospital, the team that works with
you is made up of the brightest, most talented health care professionals in the
country. They train the next generation of physicians, nurses and other health care
providers and, through continuing education seminars, pass along the latest medical
advances to current physicians.
Patient concierge services. World-class care begins with world-class
service. Our clinical care coordinators provide patients with personal attention
and care while guiding them through every step of their treatment. They are responsible
for a wide range of duties, including:
- Helping referring physicians admit new patients into our system
- Acting as liaison between patients and their physicians, ensuring patients’ questions
are answered quickly
- Gathering necessary medical records that are needed to provide the best possible
- Coordinating and scheduling tests, procedures and appointments with all hospital
- Ensuring all insurance requirements are met
For more information, please contact our patient care coordinators at 904-383-1022
The UF Health Skull Base Center Peer Review Board meets weekly to review patient
cases. Doctors specializing in skull base tumors share test results
and collaborate to make sure each patient receives the most effective, up-to-date
We conduct cutting-edge research and clinical trials that give hope to patients
from around the world. Our doctors share their knowledge by writing
articles for numerous medical journals and text books. They are board-certified
or board-eligible in these specialties:
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Radiation oncology
- Medical oncology
As part of an academic health center, the UF Health Skull Base Center offers
world-class facilities and the latest advancements in treatment. Some
of those treatments are the result of our own research.
- We use a multi-specialty team approach to skull base tumor care.
- State-of-the-art operating room technology combines sophisticated endoscopic-assisted
microneurosurgery, image guidance and robotic surgery. Greater precision gives us
- Radiation therapy (focused radiation and proton beam therapy). Learn more at www.floridaproton.org.
- Dedicated neuropathologists specializing in skull base tumors provide a more accurate
diagnosis and offer alternate treatment options.
Proton therapy treatment available. The
UF Health Proton Therapy Institute is the first treatment center in the
Southeast U.S. to offer proton therapy. Florida residents, as well as patients from
the region, the country and the world, have access to a new cancer treatment option
delivered in a supportive, healing environment.
- We are recognized among the nation's best neurosurgery programs.
We received Healthgrades' 2019 Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award, recognizing
hospitals operating in the top 10 percent nationally for superior clinical performance
and patient outcomes in cranial neurosurgery.