Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, is the growth of the prostate tissue over time. The growth of this tissue occurs in an area that really impacts our…
UF Health Urology in Jacksonville offers residents of Northeast Florida the advanced resources of an academic medical center provided in a compassionate, patient-friendly environment.
Faculty urologists of the University of Florida Department of Urology offer a comprehensive range of urological services. UF Health Urology's collaborative partnerships with world leaders in urological cancer care—including the National Cancer Institute and UF Health Proton Therapy Institute—provide access to state-of-the-art urological cancer protocols and direct communication for consultations regarding our cases.
Urology: Our expertise
In addition to general urology, physicians at UF Health Jacksonville specialize in:
- Andrology, a urologic subspecialty focusing on male factor infertility, erectile dysfunction, and treating low testosterone (hypogonadism). Some of the techniques offered to assist our andrology patients include, reversal of prior vasectomies, microsurgical varicocele repairs, and the insertion of inflatable penile prosthesis.
- Pelvic reconstructive surgery, including female incontinence and vaginal/uterine prolapse repair, male urethral stricture disease, female pelvic complications of prior mesh surgery or traumatic injury of the urinary system. UF Health Jacksonville has one of the nation’s largest patient databases following women who have undergone transvaginal mesh surgery.
- Bladder and bowel function in patients with traumatic or congenital spinal cord injury. UF Health Jacksonville leads North Florida in the urologic care of traumatic and congenital spinal cord injury and has an active transition program partnered with Nemours Children’s Health for continuity of care as adolescents transition into adulthood.
- Genitourinary cancers, including bladder, kidney, penile, prostate and testicular cancers. Our approach involves a multidisciplinary team of specialists at the UF Health Cancer Center dedicated to individualizing cancer care for patients by offering innovative clinical trials and therapeutic interventions, including minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, cryotherapy and robotic surgery. In addition, UF Health Urology works closely with the UF Health Proton Therapy Institute in providing a comprehensive approach to urological cancers.
- Urinary stone disease treatment using extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) and both antegrade and retrograde endourological surgical techniques to help patients become stone-free with minimal recovery time. In the case of recurrent stone-formers, the urology division works in close collaboration with the UF Health nephrology and endocrinology teams to evaluate possible treatable causes of stone formation.